Great Poetic Thoughts to get you writing!

The Daily Poet: Day-By-Day Prompts For Your Writing Practice - Kelli Russell Agodon, Martha Silano Their Eyes Were Watching God - Zora Neale Hurston All About Love: New Visions - Bell Hooks The Woman Warrior - Maxine Hong Kingston

The Daily Poet is a marvelous set of prompts and ideas for writing -- one for each day of the year! What I love the most about reading these poetic prompts are the little bits of knowledge and insight that open creative doors for me. I learned little things -- little insightful fun things -- about Salvador Dali, about Dizzy Gillespie, about patents, about language and Walt Whitman and about the construction of the universe! All of these thoughts set my head spinning in creative fervor -- exactly the authors' intent.

Think of this book as a poetic Book of the Hours (a medieval book holding prayers keyed to specific hours of the day or days of the week), and your daily writing practice may come alive. Great ideas and thought-provoking prompts bring ideas alive.

The only critique I have of this marvelous little book is that the examples and ideas are too largely from older white male writers. Annie Dillard is mentioned -- but I was saddened not to find a single quote from writers such as Maxine Hong Kingston, Zora Neale Hurston, National Book Award Winner Ursula Le Guin or bell hooks. These writers have been a profound influence on me, and I was saddened at their omission.

Source: http://sinfulfolk.com